Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Yummy Recipes, Vaccines and Other Things



Today I went to the doctor and have him look at my hand.  The scar from the carpal tunnel surgery is VERY sensitive and there is a lot of scar tissue forming under the scar.  It hurts!  :(    In talking to the docotor he said he thought I was healing ok still but I find that debatable.  He recommended therapy to help  decrease the sensitivity of the scar and to break up the scar tissue.  I thought this was a great idea and make an appointment.  I just realized this evening that I could not pay for the therapy because each therapy session I to pay my $20 co-pay.  This SUCKS!  So I will just have to do what I can to increase the flexibility and strength in my hand.

Joseph's Medical Summary Letter
I went to the pediatrician today.  I had worked on a medical summary letter for each of the children as a rough draft for the doctor.  Took me about 2 hours for all three children. I think a medical summary letter is fantastic when you have a child with a long and complex medical history. You can pull the letter out and just hand it to another doctor to give them a quick run down on all the medical issues of your child.  Here is an example of Joseph's letter.  (if the type is too small hit CTRL and the + sign 3 or 4 times to enlarge the font).  When I got to the doctor's office I figured out I was an idiot and FORGOT to burn a disk with the letters to give the doctor's office.  Ugh!!!  I did remember to take the WIC forms to get Margaret and Joseph their Pedisure AND I got the right form filled out to get a handicap plate for my car.  It will make taking the kids out MUCH easier in some places.  The doctor was funny.  He said which child is this for since all of them could qualify.  LOL  That was both a funny and sad statement!  I got the permit for Joseph though.  I also got the information I needed sent off to to the medical supply company to get Joseph's wheelchair.  That will be SUPER helpful!  So I did pretty did pretty good today.

Just as a quick note to people in Nevada applying for a handicap plate or placard for their minor child here are the instructions on what to do.  I called the Nevada DMV twice and waited over 30 mintues on the phone for this information because I could not find it online...lol.  IF you call talk to the Special Plates Department.  Their number for the Las Vegas area is 702-486-4368 and them wait for the options and press 2, 1, and then 5.  That should get you to Special Plates.

Online you go to the Nevada DMV page for handicap plates.  Download form SP27 Applications for Disabled Persons License Plates/Placards. Once have the form you fill it out for the child you want the plate for by putting their name and address on the form. The Nevada Driver's License or Identification Number you leave blank.  For Signature of the Applicant the parent signs the form and puts in parentheses minor child.  This lets the DMV know the child will not be on the registration of the car nor have a driver's license number.   Just have the doctor fill out the medical portion and you are all done!  I just saved you at least 10 minutes on the phone.  : )

While I was at the doctor's office the doctor mentioned getting the kids vaccinated for the flu. I just brushed it off.  He is right though in one thing.  I LOVE the kids pediatrician and he is a VERY cool doctor but he is in a VERY busy practice and he mentioned that over the winter he sees a lot of super sick children.  Just taking them to the doctor's office  during the winter would be putting them at risk of catching something. It makes me worried.  I worry EVERY winter about the children and in particular Joseph.

Speaking of vaccines there is a great article by Marcella Piper-Terry saying vaccines do not cause autism.  At first I thought, "What?!?!" Then I read the article and it all made sense.  Basically the article states that vaccines do not cause autism but a host of other illnesses and conditions that are the underlying conditions of autism.  Really great read!  Then another great article by Moises Velasquez-Manoff was published in the New York Times Opinion Section called An Immune Disorder at the Root of Autism.  The article has some sad information talking about the immune system of the mother attacks the child in the womb.  Autoimmune disorders significantly increase the chances of having a child diagnosed with autism.

Blog to mention is the Naked Kitchen.  Like Jamie Oliver's Food Network show Naked Chef the blog is about keeping food whole and simple.  It is a great blog with LOTS of good and healthy recipes!  Speaking of recipes I came across a great little recipe for making pizza dough.  SUPER simple and I am looking forward to trying this!

Two Ingredient Pizza Dough

  • 1 cup Self Rising Flour
  • 1 cup of Greek or natural yogurt
In a bowl combine flour and yogurt.  Stir until it forms a ball (might be a good job for a heavy duty mixer). Remove dough and turn out onto FLOURED board.  Knead dough for at least 5 to 8 minutes until the dough is nice and pliable and stretchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment